You may or may not remember the matchy-matchy bedroom “set” that I have had to deal with/ decorate around in my master bedroom….but just in case you forgot, I present….
THE LARGEST DRESSER ON EARTH
Seriously now, 8 years ago I walked into one of the big furniture stores with one purpose. A king size bed with something in a dresser that matched. I ended up with the Godzilla of dresser sets. Oh yeah, I went whole hog. The bedframe, lowboy, highboy and matching nightstand. Oh, how I wish I could talk to that Dharma now….*sob*
So when we created the master bedroom from 2 bedrooms, I thought we’d have a football field of room to house these badboys. Not so much. In fact the lowboy just ate up the entire midsection of the room. I started thinking about smaller dressers, then I remembered my lingerie addiction and my 147 tanktops. So I sucked it up and continued to bang my leg every morning on the corner of the dresser. Every morning.
Last December I walked into a local thrift and consignment store and there HE was. A deep walnut hued, gorgeous hunk of wood. He had large expansive drawers, a bow front and the most impressive hardware I’ve ever seen. The tag on his front said “$375.00”. I wept a little. I could not bring myself to pay that so I walked away, only turning back once….to remember him. I left my card with the owner, asking that she keep her eye out for something similar but not as pricey. I have thought about him since.
Flash forward to 2 weeks ago and I get a call. The dresser was still there, no one had claimed him and the owners did not want to take it back. Would I pay $150.00? Now, this is where the true “rubber hits the road” in thrifting. I tried to quit jumping up and down so that I didn’t sound out of breath and said “Would you take $100.00?”
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Eduardo…..
Slight dings, some water damage at the back but nothing that couldn’t be LOVED out, right?
Gaze upon his hardware.
Oh Eduardo. Your patina. I got straight to work. Picking up a few supplies and getting that elbow ready for some serious buffing.
His façade was scratched, someone had been unkind. But I knew I could change him. I was sure.
So, after much rubbing, buffing and staining I started to see Eduardo’s true shine come to life.
Darling. Isn’t that better?
Here he is, not staged but so much more loved. Appreciated. Adored.
Mi amore, Eduardo.
Oh, yeah. He is gorgeous. Build the room around him.
ReplyDeleteWow....between the king sized bed, the drawer full of lingerie and this new man in your room, I'm thinking there's a whole lot of fun going on in this new bedroom of yours!
ReplyDeleteLove this dresser, the shape of the drawers and the pulls are amazing!
It's beautiful!!! Those furniture pens are so handy, aren't they? I'm Linky Following you now too!
ReplyDeleteHe's gorgeous!!
ReplyDeleteOooohh, he's beasutiful -- excellent job!
ReplyDeleteLove Eduardo and you know I love you you frugal femme fatale but seriously I am ready for a monogamous relationship now that I know you have 147 tank tops. I am not worthy.
ReplyDeletepam