March 25, 2012

Countertops and Dust Rhinos

 

After a week of 80 degree days all week, we got a yuk weekend of drizzle, clouds and cold temperatures. Sounds like a drag, right? No way! How do you create your own fun at home with the DH? You paint your kitchen counters. You KNOW he was excited. 

You may remember the green countertops bane of my existence that are on every vanity and kitchen surface in my home. Well, I’ve been here for almost 7 years and it is time to banish the Leprechaun from Casa Dharma. Don’t you just love the scroll design on the green? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

009

I also had been drooling over the tutorial from Jenna at SAS Interiors. Her tips came in mighty handy!! Her product kit and mine differ because we have a different option up here in Canada but the tips and tricks were priceless. Here is my kit, the Countertop Refinishing Kit. The one Jenna used was a Countertop Transformations Kit. That kit costs $249 CAD.So when I saw a deal on at my local Home Hardware from $199 to $149 CAD, I said “Self, get thee to HH.” This kit is enough to cover 50 sq ft. My kitchen counters measured 43 sq ft. Here is where you hope the manufacturer
is not pulling your chain!

004

I chose to use the black finish to match the almost-stainless appliances and my new greige hoodfan. Here is
where we started on Saturday at 9 a.m.

006

No one could have prepared me for the ICK-Factor during the removal of my appliances. Um, note to self. Do that more than once every couple years, yo! Bunnies, meet dust-rhinos.

005

There is a major investment of time and inconvenience involved in this project. I don’t suggest this one for anyone with little patience or little kids. Kidding….but not about the patience part. Oy vey. There are a lot of steps, mucho drying time stops and starts and it is picky-picky. However, that being said, if I can do it. You can do it.

First up, clean, tape, protect cabinets and sinks etc.  Then onto scuff/sand your surface area.

010011

Then it is on to the base coat. Dry. Second base coat. Dry. Now 3pm.

012014

Then it is time to put on your stonecoat finish. This is messy and does not look so hot. Hang in there.

017

Second coat on at 7pm. That’s looking better, right?

021

022

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddddd…………………….now we dry. Overnight.

Wake up at 8:10 a.m. and stumble downstairs. Thank all that is holy for a man who makes coffee in the morning. Get yourself together, Dharma and start sanding the surface of your new stonecoated countertops, cause that sounds fun on a Sunday before noon, right? Right? This was my idea. Sand.

027028

The stone flecks in the paint are exposed and they range in colour and size. The effect is pretty realistic really. I was a bit surprised how good it looked.
030

Now the fun part. Clear coat, dry, clear coat and leave it alone for 24 hours. Order Chinese food Smile

031033

We decided to put the appliances back before the end of the day. Here is a bit of a sneak peek. We have paint touchups and silicone to complete tomorrow. Then back to reloading my kitchen with crap.

035

A reminder of our Before and After:

006035

And I’m dust rhino free to boot, I won’t have to clean under the appliances for another 4 years. Smile

23 comments:

  1. Wow!!!!! Looks amazing!! Good Job Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. It looks really really nice! I can't believe how nice it is!

    Was it smelly???

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is pretty impressive!....really looks great!...good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks GREAT! Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To answer Carol-Anne:

    You know, it wasn't smelly and considering the shite day we had on Saturday with the rain, I thought it would be really pungent. Honestly, our only open window was the small kitchen sink one. Thanks for checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That looks awesome! And even if it was a PITA, it still falls under the title of: "best 149$ I ever spent!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wondered about those kits. It looks really great! Does it seem sturdy like it will last well?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks GREAT!. Thanks for sharing the tips too. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coming over from the cowgirl link up. Great job!! Much less expensive than installing new counter tops. Any idea on how well the pain holds up over time?

    Serena
    www.ThriftDiving.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, I mean, PAINT. Although, I am sure there was some pain involved. Most DIY projects do! Lol Damn iPhone...... Lol.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the comment on my counters! Yours look great!!! I think the process you used might be the way to go. Fabulous job!

    And yes - I think great counter top redo's are in our blood. I'm from Ontario too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I'm over from Pam's Motivated Monday. Your counters look great! They looked nice before, but now they look very rich. you really did a wonderful job.
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are so fantastic! Great work!!! What a transformation!

    Thanks for linking up @ Creatively Living!
    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looonnggg day. LOL. But the outcome was PERFECT! It was all worth the time and effort. Good job! :)

    ~Lisha

    p.s. I found you through Lori's blog at bleak2unique. I'm your newest linky follower! if you want you can linky follow me back at onehouseonecouple.blogzam.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooo, this looks so nice. It is just beautiful. We want to do this so bad and are too scared. Yours looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooh, i love the darker after! they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Um, this is the coolest thing ever Dharma!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have some big marks in counter do i hatch these marks before i put on my first coat. Larry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Larry - absolutely sand any large holes or marks smooth as can be before you start with a base coat, the results will be better. My countertops were in good shape but I did end up sanding the joints smooth for a nicer seamless look. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. what should i fill these holkes with thanks Larry 905 871 4473

    ReplyDelete
  20. Larry! You should take a boogie down to Crescent Home Hardware on Dominion and see if they have any filler for laminates/ wood. Both dry nice and sand smooth. Small world :) huh??

    ReplyDelete
  21. caadian tire has a counter fix on sale is this the same or you think is better Larrry

    ReplyDelete
  22. i'm so impressed with this! so now i see it's been a few years since you did this...
    do you still love it? how has it held up? would you do it again?

    ReplyDelete

Holla! I love to hear from you....I read every word :)