January 6, 2016

Create More....Spend Less

Hi there. Been awhile huh?

Sorry for the interruption but you know....life.

2016 - When the hell did that happen?

So, to start off a new year, I am resolving to do something new too. I have decided to put my wallet on a diet. No carbs for that beaotch! Let me explain.

Greg and I make a nice living. We have little to no debt other than our mortgage. We own our cars. We have savings. We can afford to do or buy what we want but lately *want* has been a slippery word.

We had a major windstorm prior to Christmas which prompted an insurance claim for roof damage (they sweetly only offered 25% of the cost - ugh!) and we can swing a replacement in cash if we are careful. Bummer that we had plans to renovate the downstairs bathroom with that money but hey, life. Again. Need vs Want!

That said, I am feeling the crush of clutter, the real pressing of *things* in our home that we do not use, don't like, have no use for due to life changes, boys growing up and out of things...so rather than getting freaked out and going out to BUY ALL THE THINGS that would make me giddy (for a while), I have decided to concentrate on getting RID OF ALL THE CRAP.

This seems to be a theme for a lot of people in January judging by blogs and Pinterest lol

Greg and I started taking pics of or posting items for sale or for free on local Facebook sites or on Kijiji and most of it is flying out of the garage :) That is happiness I tell you.
Any funds received will go into those roof repairs. It won't be much but it will help.

In the meantime, I am on a no-spend spree. I got so serious I started unsubscribing from all my fave shopping sites and flash sale emails from sites I like to shop from, cutting the temptation is huge for me. No more THIS IS A GREAT DEAL Dharma....spend, spend, spend!

It will be a journey. I know this. But it is a bit of a relief too. Focusing on what we CAN afford in cash after we do the roof, making room for reducing the mortgage in real time and not at a snail's pace and *buying* experiences rather than STUFF is where I see this headed.

Are you doing anything drastic this year?


Thanks for diving back in the deep end with me.
Dharma

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


2 comments:

  1. I am doing the same thing. My son is 16 now and my house has hit the age of needing big dollar repairs. I have a 2 year plan to declutter and fix my house in case we move for college. I also had an insurance claim they are no fun, mine was a toilet supply line on the second floor. Who knew the toilet innards don't last forever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that you are spacing your plan out....the STUFF can be so overwhelming. Especially when you factor in repairs and renovations. Ewwwww on that nasty innards repair. Just ewwwww.

      Delete

Holla! I love to hear from you....I read every word :)