May 3, 2010
Ewwwwwwwww.......bugs!
OK, I am usually all about the great outdoors but seriously! Dog ticks? In my house? On my kid?
Apparently our favourite haunt to walk the dog is riddled with these blood-suckers and they are renowned for being carriers of Lyme’s Disease. In the past few days I have removed one from the pup’s ear, 2 from my husband (one on his neck…ewwwwww) and one from my hand while driving my van. That one I kept to myself because my poor sister was with me and she had just watched a documentary about Lyme’s at our local library the day before. I did not want to watch her do a tuck and roll out the passenger side door at 80 km/hr!
The kicker was Greg finding one on my son’s hip as he entered the bath last night. That one had teeth in skin, not burrowed all the way in yet but it still smarted to remove it. Poor guy. So now I sit vigil looking for bullseye rashes and brushing the dog until he is bald from de-furmination!!!
So what do you have to deal with in your end of the world? So far I’ve done time with fleas, ants, lice and now ticks…..ahhhhhh home, husband, children and pets. Who knew the glamour would reach these kinds of heights?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

We have ticks here - paralysis ticks are the worst, though grass ticks can grab on in the hundreds. Boy 1 is allergic so we have all the gear plus an epi-pen on hand. Not fun. We use insect repellant such as Rid. But mainly just have to be vigilant.
ReplyDeleteUPDATE! Picked two of the suckers off Pudge's ear tonight. One being the hefty, greedy sort and the other just hanging around Tick #1 for the leftovers. I had to dig the damn things out with my fingernail....dogs do not like sterilized tweezers. Who knew? So a flea and tick collar now grace the dog's neck. He thinks he's sexy.
ReplyDeleteI was gonna suggest the tick collar. when I was a kid living out in the kountry, we had dogs and that was all we could offer them. They do have frontline and such now too.
ReplyDeleteBTW, thanks for the follow and also the comment! You're kind. We seem to have lots in common!
Lana,
ReplyDeleteWe *do* seem to have a lot in common. LOL