September 18, 2009

Trust, gossip and me....



Gossip has been a hot topic amongst my friends lately. Particularly, damaging third-hand stuff.


I must admit I feel a bit like the Olympia Dukakis character in Steel Magnolias who says "Hunny, if you haven't got anything nice to say about anyone, come sit by me" when girlfriends start to dish on one another. It is fascinating stuff sometimes. Mind you hearing passed on info that essentially shakes free someone's closet boneyard can be rather smarmy feeling after you've heard the lurid details. Have you ever heard something about someone and then thought secretly...."I need a shower"

But do I really want/ need to know this information? How does it hurt or damage the person being talked about? Mostly, I try to consider the source and see what derision of power or glee the "teller" is getting from the story. Is the gossip being purveyed with someone's best interests or is it malicious???

I have been known to get my gossip on, especially when smarting or hurt by someone. Mostly I have
tried to grow up past this in the last ten years and have actually had to carve friendships away from myself with women who live in the misery of other's drama....So how do I feel about it now? I'm sitting with this and making desicions...mostly about how I want to proceed and be percieved.

Let's face it, I sure as shit don't need anyone strolling my skeletons outta my closet. That's why my closest girlfriends (who have all sorts of info on me) are called my "Graveyard Girls"....cause that is where we will finally be able to tell all ;) If my sister is laid to rest next to me you'll still hear giggling into the next millenium....:)


Have anyone like that? A "bosom friend" as Ann Shirley would say that could basically set people's hair on fire with what she knows about you? How does it feel having that kind of info roaming the Earth? Do you still trust her????
Whoever gossips to you will gossip about you. ~Spanish Proverb

4 comments:

  1. my mother used to say
    "Let not your friends your secrets know,
    for when your friends become your foe
    then all the world your secrets know"

    but she was a bloody gossip so who am i to listen to

    there is a frisson of excitement but that needing to have a shower feeling kinda puts me off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate to this! Am enjoying your blog, and your life attitude. Wanna pop over to Australia for a glass of wine? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you Madmother....I'd love to! Come to Canada for a beer would ya?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm going way back in your files and starting at the beginning :)

    this one really resonates with me.

    my mother was a mean nasty gossip. slow news day meant lets make some shit up about someone just for the sport of it and repeat it so many times she would believe that it was truth.

    when you're raised at the knee of a mean ass bitch it affects your shit growing up and how you deal with others and who you attract to you and what you think you are worth.

    in my early school days i was attracted to a toxic 'friend'. we continued our friendship for nearly 30 yrs. at times it more loose other times tighter.
    as i got older i had this sick feeling/gut instinct that kept coming up like bile in my throat when i had dealings with her... 'if she tells others shit... she's going to tell your shit'

    at the end of this relationship i found out she had used my life, marriage and then my very painful divorce as hurtful fodder with another circle of 'friends' for years....
    btw she had referred to me as her BFF for all those years. yet another example of why i do not believe in BFFs.

    anyway yes, i have gossiped. it just makes us human.
    HOWEVER as i have grown up and got my shit straight + removed toxic dicks from my life + been through the tragic humiliation of gossip i am proud of my ability to be the kind of human that can keep others shit secret and safe without judgment.
    i now have a circle of friends i feel safe with. that's not an easy thing to build when you've been so hurt.
    x+o

    ReplyDelete

Holla! I love to hear from you....I read every word :)