January 30, 2013

Dr. Dharma (Not Berman) - In the Kitchen

So.....remember that list? Yeah, that one. The one that was a mile long and wrapped up at about $2500 for the kitchen cosmetic redux? I have dragged My husband and I cheerily have wandered into a kitchen design centre, done a bit of online sleuthing and brought home countertop samples. Our quote will take place this Friday complete with installation measurements to be taken and the addition of a new undermount sink to be spec'd out.

Has anyone had more options put before them in their life than when they are shopping for countertops? Corian, Silestone, marble OH MY! Originally I said to myself "Self, you deserve stone." then that same chic said loudly "Not at $60-80 a square foot you do not!" So on this teensy budget what is a girl to do? This girl went to Pinterest and typed in laminate counters and found..... wait for it......

FORMICA 180FX

When did formica get sexy? It's like when that kid Neville Longbottom from the Harry Potter movies got sexy. You're all "Wha????". Trouble is there is only one supplier of this product in my 200 km vicinity. I tracked down their 1-800 number and found a local supplier/ installer. Price for this magic? $26 a liner foot. Hello....lover!

WARNING to this local company - I will be reviewing your business, this product and your installer. Send the best looking one you got. LOL

For an extra cost they can even install an undermount sink (with a stone ring to make it last), further install the delta Touch H2O tapset I won last year and do a slab finish to further trick the eyeballs. I have chosen this stainless 18 gauge deeper sink by Wilsonart.


















For the counters I originally thought the Calacatta marble knock off but the hubs is convinced it would make our kitchen look like a public restroom off the I-95...lol. So after bringing all our samples home we've settled on this:

Soapstone Sequoia


















Backsplash.... I just want a strip to meet the wall where the counter slabs end. I do not want coving or any part of the counters on the wall. I think that will give the Formica away as quick as you can look at it. So off to Home Depot to check out options. I first liked the Fasade panels, they looked easy to install and a dude at the check out swore by them. I have a coworker who has used them and she is a happy camper. But then I saw the peel n' stick stainless Aspect tiles. They come in individual tiles sold in a pack or longer sheets by the foot. I say GROOVY! Check out the finished look, like I said I don't plan on these many tiles....but it is awesome :)






















Now to find out Friday how much all this "extra" means in extra dollars....I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. Decisions, decisions. I want to go with butcher block, but my husband isn't buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. Just wondered.....have you looked at Ikea for various countertop options? I found them to be the cheapest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have great bones to work with.

    I bought Ikea laminate counter tops. The only issue I have is that they are not long enough for my one counter so I will have to butt them up, we'll see how that goes :)

    The only other counters that I truly love are black "galaxy" granite, and that's just not happening, sadly. Ah well, make do and move on. My budget is about the same as yours and I am throwing in a new fridge in that.

    ReplyDelete

Holla! I love to hear from you....I read every word :)